Pages

Sunday 18 December 2016

Day 1: Choosing a Destination

17/12/2016.
Day 1:
Activity 1

After you have read the quick facts about each place you must choose ONE country that you would like to ‘visit.’ On your blog post the name of the country and tell us why you have chosen to visit it. Please give, at least, two reasons for choosing the country.
Canada: One reason that I have chosen Canada to visit is because there are some sports that I would like to try and experience. Another reason that I had chosen this country to visit is that there are gardens that you can go to look around at and there are also different places that you can go to and experience.

Activity 2
On Google, research the country that you have chosen to visit and write, in your own words, three interesting facts about that country. They must be facts that weren’t already provided on the World Map.
3 interesting facts about Canada:
1st fact: In Canada they have over 30000 lakes.
2nd fact: The name Canada comes from the word Kanata which means settlement or village in the language of the indigenous St Lawrence Iroquoians.
3rd fact: In Canada it is rich in resources like zinc, nickel, lead and one of the known riches gold.

Bonus Activity
Write a letter to a friend or family member to tell them that you are going to visit your country of choice. In your letter, please tell them where you are going, why you have decided to go to the particular country and how long you will be away. Feel free to invite them to join you, if you’d like!
32 Line Road, Glen Innes, 1072
Sunday 18 December 2016

Dear Aaliyah,
In this letter I want to tell you about where I will be going to travel and it's Canada. I have noticed that the further north you go the more colder it will get, but I will not let the temperature stop me from having fun.   So I have decided to go to Canada because of all the places you could go especially the Niagara falls and sight seeing. I will just be away for this week so no worries I will be seeing you next week, Merry Christmas and take care. 
From: Mikaela



5 comments:

  1. Hi Mikeala it's me Von,

    I really like your letter, it's so wonderful!
    If I were your mother I would warned you to stay away from the cold side Of Canada( which is the North)

    :) great work and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikeala

    I really liked your letter and if i were you I wouldn't let the weather stop me from having fun to. I would also love to go to Niagara falls because it looks beautiful.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mikeaela!

    Welcome back to the Summer Learning Journey programme. I am so happy to see that you've joined us again this year. That's awesome!

    It is also awesome to see that you have chosen to visit Canada (my home country). It truly is a spectacular place to go. The weather, as you have noted, can be pretty cold but it doesn't have to stop you from having a great time. In fact, you can be outside and experience some amazing things like skiing, skating or tobogganing even when it is -30 degrees outside. You just have to make sure that you put on the right clothes!

    When I was living in Canada in the winter time I used to put on a huge wool ski jacket, a hat, mitts, a scarf, winter boots, and snow pants before I went outside. It was still pretty cold but the clothing kept me pretty well insulated! I can remember walking to school one day when it was -33 with the wind chill. That was cold!

    I would recommend that you head to Canada in the fall/early winter. That is, arguably, the most beautiful time in Canada as the leaves on the trees are changing colours and the sky is usually bright and clear. I was actually back in Canada this year for a few weeks in the fall and I loved it. It was so beautiful!

    I hope that you will continue to learn about Canada over the next few weeks and post activity blogs as you go. I'm really looking forward to reading them! I will also let my family know that you are blogging about Canada and I am sure that they will log on and read your blogs as well!

    Keep up the great work :)

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Mikaela,

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey! It sure looks like you have already made such a good start to your journey. I'm looking forward to following your blogs over the next four weeks.

    My name is Dan, and I'm working alongside Rachel and Mark over the summer. I'm lucky enough to be able to read your blogs and I'll be leaving comments as I go. If you want to reply to my comments then please do! I'd love to know what you think, or if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

    I'd love to travel to Canada one day. I have heard so many wonderful stories from friends about how beautiful it is there, and how friendly the people are. I like that you're interested in learning about new sports, are there any in particular you'd like to learn?

    I never knew that there were that many lakes in Canada. Although I can imagine if you went in winter that most of them would be frozen over if it got to some of the cold temperatures Rachel was talking about. I think it would be so much fun to have Christmas over there with all of the snow they get at this time of year. But in saying that, I quite like the sun and beaches we get here in New Zealand too.

    It was nice of you to write to Aaliyah and tell her where you'll be travelling to. I like that you're so optimistic about the weather and won't let it stop your fun! Although Canada is such a long way away, I think you might need more than one week to see everything you want to :-)

    Keep up the awesome work Mikaela. Happy blogging!

    Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mikaela!

    How fun that you've chosen to learn about my country, Canada! As Rachel says, it can be very very cold here in the winter but we have good clothing and there are always enjoyable activities to participate in outdoors. Some of our young friends compete in cross-country skiing races and just love racing through the woods on beautiful trails! Others prefer down-hill skiing or playing hockey.

    Since you play netball, I think you might enjoy trying basketball and/or volleyball - 2 sports that my daughters played all through school. I'm a grandmother living in a small town just a half hour west of the Canada's capital city, Ottawa. Our Christmas will be a white one as we are covered in 2 feet of snow. Can you imagine that?

    In the summer we spend a lot of time canoeing on our many lakes and rivers - I think you might enjoy that too! Perhaps one day you'll choose to come here. Thank you for researching Canada as your focus.

    ReplyDelete