Pages

Saturday 31 December 2016

Day 10: School Days

31/12/2016.
Day 10 - Week 2

After meeting with the local family yesterday you are inspired to learn more about how people live in different countries. You and your family decide to go out and visit a local market. When you’re there you meet a student who tells you all about what it’s like to go to school in their country. The student also gives you a page from their diary that shows you what a typical school day is like for them.
Here is an example of a school diary for a student from Germany.
Time
Day 1
Day 2
8:00 - 8:45 a.m.
Math
German
8:45 – 9:30 a.m.
History
Religion
9:30 - 9:40 a.m.
Break
Break
9:40 -10:25 a.m.
English
Music
10:25-11:10 a.m.
English
French
11:10-11:30 p.m.
Break
Break
11:30 – 12:15 p.m.
Art
Physical Education
12:15- 1:00 p.m.
Science
Science

Activity 1
Think about your school and what you typically do in a day. Compare it with the diary from the German student. What is similar? What is different? In your blog, tell us:
  1. Whether you would rather go to school in New Zealand or in Germany
  2. Why you feel that way
Answers:
1. I would rather go to school in New Zealand.
2. I feel like going to a school in New Zealand because I would be closer to my family and friends and I would not be able to understand and speak the German language.

Activity 2
Think about your favourite subject at school. In your blog tell us:
  1. The name of your favourite subject
  2. Why it is your favourite subject
Answers:
1. My favourite subject is Mathletics.
2. The subject Mathletics is my favourite subject because I always like to learn the different connections between all the different types of Maths.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mikaela,

    I think that you have made a good choice to stay here in New Zealand (rather than go to Germany for your schooling) as it would be very hard to learn how to speak German well enough to go to school, wouldn't it?

    From what I've heard, it can take at least one full year to become fluent in another language and that would involve studying full-time. I really wish that I was able to take the time to become fluent in another language. If I could choose one language to learn, I think that I would like to learn French. What language would you most like to learn?

    Keep up the great work, Mikaela. My son, Aronui, also wants to tell you that he loves Mathletics as well. In fact, he was doing some of his Mathletics work earlier today!

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful new years eve. We are just about to head out for dinner. I can't wait to usher in the new year. I wonder what 2017 will bring...

    See you in the new year!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikaela,

    It sounds as though you enjoy school in New Zealand, surrounded by your friends. I hope that's so!

    I always liked going to school because it gave me a chance to learn so many many things that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to learn about. Math is one of the most difficult subjects to learn by oneself - I was always glad to have very good teachers teaching me how to tackle math problems. I'm really delighted that you like mathematics. Perhaps you'll want to study math in high school and university some day. There are some brilliant women mathematicians in the world!

    I hope you're enjoying the summer learning program and that you're also enjoying your holiday time!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete