Pages

Sunday 1 January 2017

Day 15: Art History

01/01/2017.
Day 15 - Week 3

It’s the final day of Week 3 and you are feeling more and more comfortable in the country. You decide that you would now like to learn a bit more about the people and the history of your country so you spend the day exploring the art galleries and museums. There are so many different options to choose from! You decide to start with the local art gallery before moving on to see the national history museum.
Activity 1
When you walk into the local gallery, the first piece of artwork that you see is a painting by Wassily Kandinsky called ‘Swinging.’
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Swinging by Wassily.jpg
http://www.wassilykandinsky.net/work-251.php
While you are looking at it, a staff member at the gallery comes up to you and asks you for your opinion of the painting. What do you think of it?
On your blog please tell us:
  1. What do you think of this painting? Do you like it?
  2. If you could buy it and give it to someone, who would you choose?
If it was me, I would give it to my sister because she really likes bright, bold colours and abstract pictures.
Answers:
1. I think this painting has a mixture of dark and light colours and to me it looks like a mood painting of while the person was painting this they were in a mood of sad but happy at the same time.
I do like this painting.
2. If I could buy the painting and give it to someone I would definitely choose to give it to my best friend Aaliyah.
Activity 2
After exploring the gallery you decide to walk across the street to the national museum. It is an amazing place! There is so much information about the history of the country in this museum. It’s hard to know where to start!
After walking for a little while you come across a display with pictures of children that were taken in 1901 (over 100 years ago)! In this picture, the children are working on a local farm, milking cows. They are not going to school. Back in those days, children usually went to school until they reached the age of 12 or 13. They then left school and went to work. Imagine that you were alive 100 years ago. How would you feel if you had to leave school at the age of 12? Would you be happy or sad? On your blog, tell us how you would feel.
Answers:
If I had to leave school at the age of 12 I think I wouldn't be too happy because I would miss my friends.
Bonus Activity
In New Zealand we have many museum and galleries. One of the largest is called the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa or ‘Te Papa’ for short. Inside Te Papa there is a huge exhibition called ‘Gallipoli - The Scale of our War.’ It has information about a special battle, the Battle of Gallipoli, that took place during World War I. Many New Zealanders took part and many lost their lives.
The battle started on 25 April 1915. We commemorate this battle every year by celebrating Anzac Day on 25 April. Visit the Gallipoli website. It will give you lots of information about this famous battle. On your blog, tell us three things that you learned about the battle.
Answers:
1. One thing that I learned about the battle was that the men had to carry very heavy gear almost carrying half their body weight.
2. Another thing that I learned was that they had to carry entrenching tools to dig deep trenches to escape enemy fire.
3. I also learned that their long tom rifles could carry 10 bullets but each bullet had to be loaded into the gun separately.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mikaela,

    Wow, you have learned a number of really interesting facts about Gallipoli. It was a pretty traumatic battle wasn't it? I can't imagine being asked to travel to Turkey to live and to fight off enemy invasions for months on end. We're pretty lucky to live in New Zealand during the current era, aren't we?

    We are able to spend quality time with family and friends and go to school well into our twenties (if we want to). I actually just graduated from university last year with my PhD and I'm in my thirties! I liked school so much that I just kept on going back and studying more. Do you enjoy school? Do you think that you might want to go to a poly tech or to university one day?

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete