Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

Week 2 : Day 3 : Activities 1, 2 + Bonus Activity

Wednesday-27th-December-2017
Day 3: The Great Depression
(The 1930s)
Unfortunately, the wealth and success of the 1920s
did not continue into the 1930s. Instead, the stock
market in America crashed on Tuesday 29 October 1929.
When this happened, people lost a lot of money and much
of the world sunk into a deep, financial depression. The
1930s is often referred to as the ‘Great Depression.’


Activity 1: Dealing with Stress
In New Zealand, many people lost their jobs during
this decade. Experts predict that as much as 30% of
the population was unemployed. It was a very stressful
time for families.

Sadly, many of us still experience stress in our lives to
this day. When I feel stressed I try to go for a walk or
pop into my local gym for a quick workout. Exercise
makes me feel better. What about you?

On your blog, please tell us what you do when you
want to relax or de-stress. Do you read a favourite
book, watch a favourite television show or talk to
someone special?  What are your tips for dealing
with stress?
What I Do When In Stress:
When I am Stressed out I usually:
> Listen to music
> Watch my favourite shows
> And even clean
Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand
During this period, people struggled to find work both
here at home and overseas. It was a really tough time
for people living in the Great Plains of the United States
because they were hit with a huge drought that lasted
for most of the decade. Many crops were damaged and
farmers were not able to make enough money to feed
their families.

Imagine that you were alive in the 1930s. What could you
have done to help these families? On your blog, list three
different ways that you could raise funds for families to help
them buy food and clothing. Be as creative as you can with
your fundraising ideas!

Fundraising Ideas:
> Raising a Car Wash
> Having Food Stalls
> Selling old things that belong to me that may be in good
condition

Bonus Activity: Paying it Forward
In the mid-1930s, things began to change for the better in
New Zealand. More people were able to find work and
receive a steady paycheck. They were still careful,
however, with their money and rarely, if ever, bought treats
or gifts for one another.

Imagine that you were able to travel back in time to visit a
family in the 1930s. What special gifts or treats would you
like to bring with you? I would likely bring blocks of Whittaker’s
chocolate, bags of Jet Planes and Pineapple Lumps, healthy
food snacks, clothing, and games for the children. What about
you?

What Would I Take:
> I would take, Bluebird Chips
> Whittaker’s Chocolate Slabs
> Board Games - Outside Games
> Shoes and Clothing
> Mi goreng Noodles


BONUS POINTS: 6

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mikaela,

    You have great ways how to distress, sometimes I clean when I'm stressed just to take my mind off things. Do you often get stressed?

    I bet you would make lots of money to help lots of families in need.

    The families in the 1930's would really appreciate and love all the yummy treats you would take back for them.

    If you could take one really really special gift what would you take?

    Keep up the fantastic work!

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Mikaela, thanks for posting again today. I love how hard you are working in the summer holidays, it's most impressive.

    Thank you for sharing three awesome tips on how to reduce stress. I am sure that I use all three of those daily, especially listening to music. I find music relaxes me. Another one I really like to do is go for a run. It is great being out among nature and it helps me clear my head.

    I have enjoyed reading your three ideas on how we can raise funds. You must be such a generous person. One that I thought of was a sausage sizzle, they are always fun.

    Finally, thanks for listing the things you would take back in time. It's great that you have a balance between treats and necessities like shoes and clothes. I am sure people will enjoy both things but for different reasons.

    Great blogging, keep it up!

    Billy

    ReplyDelete