Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Week One : Day 3 : Activities 1, 2 + Bonus Activity

Wednesday-20th-December-2017
Day 3: It’s All in the Family
victorian family.jpg


Activity 1: The More, the Merrier?
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many
parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine
that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you
enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why
not?

Would I enjoy having a Large Family; Why or Why Not?
Yes I would definitely enjoy being a part of a family so big
because I am an only child and I have never really had
siblings of my own. I would truly enjoy it because having
so many siblings meant that I would be able to always
have somebody to talk to, play with, and more. This also
makes the family stronger and the generations to come
will always be full. Having family is something that I truly
cherish.

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large
families and some of us have very small families. When I
have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry
I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special
way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There
are many different versions of pepeha but most provide
people with information about who you are and where you
come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided
below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help
please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko Mt Wellington te maunga -    
The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko Tamaki River te awa -          
The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko ? te waka -
The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko Feleti tōku tīpuna -
My founding ancestor is…
Ko Tu’ipulotu tōku iwi -          
My tribe is…
Ko Kaufusitu’a tōku hapu -
My sub-tribe is…
Ko ? tōku marae -
My marae is…
Ko Auckland, New Zealand ahau -
I am from…
Ko Katea rāua ko Taniela ōku mātua -
My parents are … and …
Ko Mikaela tōku ingoa. -
My name is …

*affiliate means to associate with, or be close to.

When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog.
You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.

Bonus Activity: Fun Family Facts
Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special?
Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two
favourite things to do in summer are.

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example,
my Nana plays the bagpipes!

Favourite Summer Doings/Facts:

Maealiuake>
- “I like to stay home and watch stuff on the T.V”.
- “I also like to go to the beach and swim with my family”.
Fun Fact 1:
Maea plays Rugby League for under 12’s at the Marist Club
in St Johns.
Fun Fact 2:
He is also part of a family of 6 children plus his parents are 8
in total.

Lily>
- “My favourite thing to do in the Summer is to play with my
friends at the beach”.
- “I also like to play in the park with my cousins in the sun”.
Fun Fact 1:
Lily can eat nonstop and she can eat anything no matter what
it is.
( She said it herself )
Fun Fact 2:
Lily is also an unorganized person with a big mouth that likes to
talk a lot.

Szaskia>
- “During the Summer I like to get a tan and go to the beach for
a swim”.
Fun Fact 1:
Szaskia is kind of like obsessed with MakeUp and always wears
it even though she stays inside the house.
Fun Fact 2:
Szaskia likes to run a lot but most of the time she spends her time
inside of the house hanging out with family/friends.



BONUS POINTS: 6

7 comments:

  1. Kia ora Mikaela
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    You are an amazing writer and I can truly tell you this will help you so much for next year as we start school again. Do you have a big family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Mikaela, I hope you are enjoying your holidays.

    Thanks for completing three more activities, you are working so hard and doing so well. Keep it up!

    I found it interesting to read your opinion on having a big family. I would have to agree with you. I was thinking that it would be awesome because if you wanted to play netball, touch or soccer you would always have people available to play. You could have such awesome games in the backyard.

    Do you think there would be any downsides to having a large family? If so, what are they?

    Thanks, look forward to hearing back from you. Billy
    😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding work, Mikaela. I like your fun facts about each person that you have chosen. That's what I call fun facts. I love the reason why you would enjoy having a large family. I can not wait until you blog more and keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mikaela,

    I really enjoyed reading what you thought being in a big family would be like! I found it very interesting.

    I also found Lily's fun facts very...hilarious.
    Who do you think in your family is the most interesting?

    Keep up the great work!
    Aaliyah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mikaela,

    Wow you did great work filling in most of your pepeha, do you ever think about what marae you affiliate to?

    Keep up the work!
    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment Katelyn, thanks for supporting and motivating everyone!

      Billy

      Delete
  6. Hey Mikaela, thanks for sharing your Pepeha with us. What is your favourite line in your Pepeha and what does it translate to?


    I really enjoyed reading about your family and their interesting facts. It was clever how you opened each person with a quote and then continued to talk about their facts. Some of them were very funny.

    What do you think your siblings might say about you if they were completing this activity?

    Thanks, billy

    ReplyDelete